header5

Crucial to the development of the firm was its branch expansion in the 1950s and 1960s. Carefully planned by the founders, Val Barfoot and Maurice Thompson, a system of branch ownership in prominent locations was put in place, commencing with the purchase of the firm T. Mandeno Jackson in 1949. This was quickly followed by the purchase of a number of other existing land agency firms and the building of new offices on sites bought by the company including: Moss and Moss in Queen Street (1952), Papatoetoe (1953), Onehunga (1953), Ponsonby (1953), Karangahape Road (1953), New Lynn (1954), Dargaville (1954), Henderson (1954), Royal Oak (1954), Birkenhead (1956), Panmure (1957), Warkworth (1957) and Mt Roskill (1957). Further branches followed in the 1960s to the point where, by 1970, the firm had 33 branches.

The success of this scheme was assisted by the careful and detailed approach to management of this expanding chain structure. From the outset, a decentralised management structure was devised allowing branch managers to run their branch on a profit sharing basis with efficient head office support.

Agents too were soon transferred from weekly wages to commission selling. The structure was held together with regular meetings between branch managers and benefited from the development of a company manual which more formally laid out the company policies and practices as regarding selling methods, advertising copy, ethics, profit sharing, and company organisation.

These arrangements at branch level brought changes to the organisational structure in place at Head Office. Val Barfoot conceived it would be efficient to separate out the office functions from the existing Head Office-so that Head Office no longer became a selling branch, but instead purely administrative: organising and operating the masterfile service, daily lists, sold and withdrawn lists, reports, photography, and accounts. In this way, Head Office became a support office for the decentralised branches.

While not innovative today, the prime mover advantage such moves gave the company at this point in its development were significant, as by the 1960s the firm had a 25 percent share of the Auckland property market, something it has retained and increased up to the present day.

Head Office

The present-day Head Office in Auckland City

© The University of Auckland Business School